Friday, September 16, 2011

Lauren Bacall

From left to right: Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, and Betty Grable on the set of How to Marry a Millionaire
Photo courtesy of classic movie scan's photostream on http://www.flickr.com/photos/slightlyterrific/5190333781/
 
A very, very, very happy 87th birthday to the legendary Lauren Bacall.  Yes, she is still alive and kickin' (knock on wood).  Now you might be thinking to yourself, "Great... An old dramatic/film noir movie...  Just what I want."  If you thought that, then you thought WRONG!  I chose to watch How to Marry a Millionaire from 1953, and it is a comedy about gold diggers before that phrase actually existed.  I just have to say before we go any further, that if my birth name was Betty Perske, I would totally change it.  Good move on Lauren's part.

Now on with the movie!  I've seen some Bacall movies before, but they were always the Bogart/Bacall movies.  They were full of mystery and drama, so needless to say, I've never really seen the comedic side of her.  And I guess I am going to have to wait a little longer to see the comedic side...
This movie also stars Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe leaving Bacall as kind of the "Debbie downer" of the group.  Although she is credited as the "brains" of the group, her comedic timing and delivery leaves something to be desired.  Granted Bacall does have some zingers and some well delivered lines.
I found Bacall being upstaged by Monroe every time they shared the screen, or just anytime in general.  Bacall was sort of the odd ball in this cast.  I wouldn't mind having a discussion with the casting director of this movie and ask them why they cast her in this movie.

Well even though she got upstaged in this movie, and her comedic timing in this movie was nonexistent I still say she did okay in this movie.  And with that, I raise my lighter to light the candles on Lauren's birthday cake.

I give this movie 2 ½ cakes out of 5.  If it wasn't for Marilyn, this movie would have easily been 2 cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment