Friday, October 7, 2011

June Allyson

June Allyson and David Niven in My Man Godfrey.
Photo courtesy of http://dawnschickflicks.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-man-godfrey-1957.html
Happy birthday to the late June Allyson.  Today she would have been 94.  She died in 2006 at the age of 88.   People might know her as Jo from Little Women (1949) or perhaps from the Depends commercials.  In honor of her birthday, I chose to watch her movie My Man Godfrey from 1957.

On with the movie.  I honestly don't know what to say about this movie...  It was horrible.  It was such a struggle to sit there and watch it.  June looked too old for her role.  I felt like she was trying to be the equivalent of fast talking, wise cracking Katharine Hepburn, but failed miserably.  The lines were poorly delivered by all, and the plot was boring and nonexistent.  To me, June seems more of a dramatic actress and shouldn't really do comedy.  But that is just basing it off of the two movies I have seen her in, Little Women and this one.  And with that, I raise my lighter to light the candles on June’s birthday cake.

Overall I give this movie a disappointing ½ a cake out of 5.  The only reason it got ½ was because of the maid, played by Jeff Donnell.  She had some lines in there that got a chuckle, which is more than I can say for the rest of the cast...

No comments:

Post a Comment