Friday, October 14, 2011

Steve Coogan

Steve Coogan (left) and Amy Poehler in Hamlet 2 
Photo courtesy of http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/hamlet-2-will-rape-your-face-mind-and-soulin-a-good-way.php
Happy 46th  birthday to our friend from across the pond, Steve Coogan.  Today I chose to watch a movie of his that has been on my "movies I want to watch" list for quite some time.  That movie is Hamlet 2, and no this movie is not a sequel.  
On with the movie.  I don't know where to start with this movie.  It was funny, had a good message, the casting was good, and Coogan was great!  
Coogan was able to hold his own with scene stealer Amy Poehler.  He didn't let her take over the scenes, which was good.  
The way Coogan carries himself and his reaction to things in this movie really brought the laughter full circle.  An example of this would be when the character Octavio says his name is "Heywood Jablowme" and Coogan thinks this is his real name.  So he calls him Heywood the whole movie, until Coogan goes over to "Heywood's" parents house and learns his name is really Octavio.  The expression on Coogan's face is priceless.
The songs in the play Hamlet 2 are so catchy that you can't help but tap along.  There is one song in particular that I can't get out of my head.  Its "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" and I am just going to say you're welcome for getting it stuck in your head right now.  You will also see Elisabeth Shue (who plays herself in the movie) in this clip in the audience and in the nurse outfit.
My favorite lines in this movie were "Raped in the face" which was repeated throughout the movie, and "You're a liar! Everyone has rain gutters!"  I don't know why I laughed so hard at the rain gutters quote, perhaps it was the delivery of it.  
And with that, I would like to raise my lighter to light the candles on Steve's cake.


I give this movie 3 ½ cakes out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment