Friday, October 21, 2011

Carrie Fisher

Tom Hanks (left) and Carrie Fisher in The Man with One Red Shoe
Photo courtesy of http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/the-man-with-one-red-shoe/the-man-with-one-red-shoe.html
Happy 55th birthday to the queen of Star Wars, Carrie Fisher.  Today I chose to watch a movie that is in no way related to Star Wars.  I picked The Man with One Red Shoe from 1985.  When I chose this movie, I thought that Fisher had a large role.  Boy, was I wrong.  She is only on the screen for four scenes if you don't count her voice recordings.
Any who, on with the movie.  Carrie Fisher in this movie is a scene stealer.  She plays the wife of Jim Belushi, but is trying to start an affair with Tom Hanks (who wants nothing to do with her).  Her "Jane" outfit, when she goes to "seduce" Hanks, is top notch (see picture above).  For the Star Wars fans reading, this is your equivalent to the classic Princess Leia slave outfit for this movie.
Fisher also plays a good jealous woman.  There's a scene with the orchestra where Hanks is making eyes at Lori Singer and Fisher sees it.  You can just feel the jealousy radiating off of her.
This movie tried to be funny, but it just came off as desperate and unfunny.  I only laughed once during this comedy.  It was when Belushi was finding all the dead bodies.  Fisher did a good job in this movie, too bad she couldn't help save this movie.  And with that, I raise my lighter to light the candles on Carrie's cake.

I give this movie a disappointing 2 cakes out of 5.  I thought the combination of Belushi, Fisher, and 80's Hanks would be brilliant, but the writing just wasn't right for this amazing grouping.

No comments:

Post a Comment